Structure / Museum
Museum of the Monastery
print

One of the expositions of the Museum.

In 1961 the monastery was announced for A National museum “The Rila Monastery”, in 1976 – for National Historical Reserve and since 1983 it has been part from the World Heritage Center of UNESCO. In the Rila Monastery are keeped manuscripts, old-printed books, documents from 14-19 centuries and the museum stores lots of old objects – icons, weapons, coins, scepters, ect.

The museum of the Rila Monastery is particularly famous for housing Rafail's Cross, a wooden cross made from a whole piece of wood (81×43 cm). It was whittled down by a monk named Rafail using fine burins and magnifying lenses to recreate 104 religious scenes and 650 miniature figures. Work on this piece of art lasted not less than 12 years before it was completed in 1802, when the monk lost his sight.

The Rila monastery is part of The Hundred National Tourist Places of BTS. It is opened for visits from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. every day. The seal is in the museum.

Source: www.en.wikipedia.org

Go top




Bulgarian